Keeping it Legal

To make sure your fundraising is legal, please follow the procedures outlined below.

Charity fundraising is regulated by law.

You as a fundraiser and Giveall can be fined for non-compliance with legal regulations which also include health and safety legislation.

Each charity and fundraiser must record the purpose for which the funds raised will be used by the charity. i.e. is it for a specific use or for general use of the charity.

The charity and fundraiser will be given the ability to clearly set out the designated use for the funds raised and should no designation be given then the default will be set and assumed to be for the general use of the trustees of the charity with no defined use.

Should targeted fundraising be selected, the charity or fundraiser is required to clearly indicate how the funds will be dealt with if the target:

  • is not met
  • is exceeded i.e. what will happen to the surplus funds.

Tell us about it

If you are planning to raise £5,000 or more, you must tell us in advance about how you plan to raise it. That way we can also help you with promoting your event.

Street collections

If you want to collect money in a public place, you must first obtain permission to do so.

To collect in the street, you will need a licence from the local council who will also give you a set of rules to follow during your collection. Street collections are a popular means of fundraising so you need to apply for the licence well in advance.

To collect on private property, for example in a shopping centre, you must ask for permission from whoever is responsible for it. Door-to-door collections are illegal without a licence.

Further regulations do apply so we suggest that you contact Giveall for more information before undertaking any street collections.


A licence is needed if you have alcohol at your event. You can avoid this issue by either holding your event on licensed premises or by asking a local pub to organise a bar at your venue.

Event organisers need to issue a Temporary Event Notice to the Local District Borough Unitary Council. See the DCMS website for more information.


Food safety laws apply when food is available at an event whether it is for sale or not. You need to be aware of these and follow food hygiene procedures. Further information can be obtained from your local authority environmental health department.

Giveall branding

By law, Giveall's charity registration number 1132982 must appear on all posters and advertisements that invite people to participate or help. Please Contact Us for guidelines and permission to use the Giveall logo. 


If you organise an event that involves the public in any way, you will need to ensure you have public liability insurance. Check if your company or personal insurance policy covers you for such activities.

Lotteries and raffles

A lottery is a game of chance in which tickets are sold, enabling the holder to qualify for a prize or money. When an element of skill is introduced then it becomes a competition and has fewer restrictions. A raffle is just another word for lottery. There are three types of lottery:

1. Private lotteries

If you hold a raffle at your workplace or club, there is no need to obtain a licence and no limit on the size of the lottery. We would encourage you to do this type of lottery as it is much easier to run and less complicated legally. The lottery must be promoted by someone from within the company and only advertised on the premises. Tickets must state the price, the name and address of the promoter and who is eligible to participate.

2. Small lotteries

When a raffle is not the main focus, but part of a larger event, a licence is not required. There must be no cash prizes, and the ticket sales and announcement of the results must be carried out during the event. No more than £250 can be spent on buying prizes although there are no limits on the value of donated prizes.

3. Public lotteries

If you hold a larger raffle that is open to members of the public, the raffle must be registered with the local authority. A named promoter should be nominated to take responsibility for the raffle. If ticket sales exceed £20,000 you must register with the Gaming Board.

As lotteries are governed by many rules we would recommend you contact the UK Charities Commission after looking at their website for advice before organising one.